Kerr PTA is Sponsoring a Spelling Bee at Kerr Elementary!
Scripps spelling bee is a competition held nationwide in which contestants are asked to spell a broad selection of words with a varying degree of difficulty. It is a long-running tradition that encourages young children to develop their spelling skills and vocabulary while developing their poise for public speaking.
The Spelling Bee competition helps to promote literacy by providing children with a positive goal to work toward and gives them a forum to display the results of their hard work. It also does much more:
- Improves and advances the skills associated with good spelling habits.
- Enhances students’ development of poise and communication under pressure.
- Expands student vocabulary and encourage accurate word usage and pronunciation.
- Round One 1/16 at 6:00 p.m. Each registered student will take a written spelling test. The top students from each division will be picked to participate in a stand-up spelling bee that same evening. Divisions: Kinder-2nd, 3rd-4th, 5th-6th
- Round Two 1/23 at 6:00 p.m. The top contestants from the preliminary spelling bee competition will be participating in the final round of the Kerr Spelling Bee.
- Districts Competition in February (will update date/time) School champion attends district bee competition.
Questions? E-mail Ming Wei.
The 2017 list will be used for the initial written test and the 2018 test will be used for the bees.